Friday, February 12, 2010

Operation Break the Swaddle Addiction T-1

Dax has an addiction. He has to be swaddled in order to fall asleep 99% of the time. I know what you're thinking, that's not such a bad thing. You're right, it wouldn't be so bad if he still fit well into his swaddle and wasn't becoming more mobile. Most of the time when Derek or I pick him up after a nap or in the morning, both of his arms are free and flung high up next to his head, as if he's saying "don't shoot". See Exhibit A:

CIMG1089

Derek and I have decided it is time to break the swaddle habit and help him learn to fall asleep without it. Since Derek has a 3-day weekend (thank you president's day!!) we have decided this is the weekend to start Operation Break the Swaddle Addiction.

Since I haven't posted any pictures lately, here's a little montage of Dax's favorite things, reading, and eating his monkey teether ring:

My creation

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck with that! ha! I speak as a mother of a child who needed a twelve step program to recover from his swaddle addiction. My two cents... cent one: if he needs it to fall asleep, but not STAY asleep then you may be fine just leaving him in it. Cent Two: don't be afraid to go back to it if he really does need it. For us it wasn't worth letting him cry it out just because WE felt he was ready to be done with it. Logan slept swaddled until he was 7 months old. I'm telling you - ADDICTED! But then all of a sudden one night he fought putting it on and was done with it from that night on!

    GOOD LUCK this weekend Arwen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that I am not alone in the swaddle addiction!!! He will sleep without it, but he almost needs it to flip the switch in his head that tells him it's time to go to sleep, once he's rolled up he calms down. Sometimes while he's nursing, and he's half-asleep, I unswaddle his arms, and he will fall asleep like that. I think it just calms him down, but we get worried about how much he moves at night, we don't want him rolling over or onto the blanket and having his arms still trapped in and then not being able to move. I'm slightly paranoid about that...we will definitely let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids never stayed in a swaddle past the first few weeks (wish they would have!)but I also worried about them rolling and getting stuck. I hope it goes well for you guys! You might already be trying this, but I know some parents will slowly remove the blanket from different parts of the body to wean them... like, night one: leave one arm out, night 2: leave both arms out, night 3: move it down to his waist, etc. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dax already does that most nights lol...a lot of times we wake up to find he has fanagled one or both arms free. Often I'll wake up and think he's awake because of all the noise he's making, I'll go check on him, and he's just trying to get his arms free....he's a funny one!

    ReplyDelete